Thursday, December 6, 2007

Visual Art by R. Jill Fink

Funky Gourds and One Cool Birdhouse
by R. Jill Fink

Dali Barn

Orange Cat Gourd

Gordy the Giraffe

Pig E. Banque

Artist's note: The gourds I use are Georgia grown, and each one is, itself, a one-of-a-kind piece of artwork. I clean and dry the gourd, then decide what it might like to be. I use a two part epoxy clay called Apoxie-Sculpt to make ears, tails, snouts, or whatever it needs. It takes three hours for the clay to harden once mixed together, and then I can sand it and paint the gourd with artist-quality acrylic paints. Once the gourd is finished, I sign the bottom then spray it with a clear acrylic varnish to protect the painting and make it more weather-safe in case it is to be put outside, like some of the birdhouses I've made.

Artist bio:

Jill is a native Floridian now happily living in Atlanta. A writer of haiku, fiction, and poetry, she is also a cat enthusiast, a glass artist, a painter, sculptor and general all-around Renaissance woman. She can rebuild your carburetor, install your koi pond, redecorate your den and bake a mean lime chiffon cake. You can find her at http://my.opera.com/rjfink/blog/.

No comments: