Monday, April 15, 2013

Two poems by Richard King Perkins II


Vanishing the Erudite Troglodyte

A fallen shard of moonlight echoes
off the visage of your unpocketed watch,
reminding us it’s place or time
for midnight brunch.
Hopping in the shadowless garden,
I twirl a contemplative sundial,
spinning the earth and stars
like blossoms in a slot machine—
three oranges scintillate,
sparkle, squeeze and wink,
suspended like bronze mirage
in latent patina drift.
You disintegrate but thirteen movements
later, reappear substrataly,
vacuously cradling a Dutch oven
found singing with bits of California.
One road, one bridge and one rainbow
have been sacrificed
for all this to be possible.
Returning home has been impossibly negated—
like eclipsing the fullness of the sun
with the curve of your hand at noon.

+++++++++++++++++

Hoofprints

One night a man had a dream. He dreamt he was walking across the beach
with Satan. Across the sky flashed scenes from his life. For each scene,
he noticed two sets of footprints in the sand. One belonged to himself,
and the other belonged to Satan.

As the final scene of his life was played out before him, he looked back at
the footprints in the sand. He observed that oftentimes along the path of his
life, there was but a single set of footprints. He also noticed that it occurred
at the lowest and most troublesome times of his life.

This quite upset the man and he asked Satan about it. “Satan, you told me that
when I decided to follow you, you’d never abandon me. Yet I’ve noticed that
during the most difficult times in my life, there is only one set of footprints.
I don’t understand why when I needed you most, you would leave me.”

Satan replied, “My precious, precious child, I love you and I could never leave
you. During those times of tribulation and suffering, when you see only one
set of footprints, it was then that you carried me.”

Author bio: 

Richard King Perkins II is a state-sponsored advocate for residents in long-term care facilities. He has a wife named Vickie and a daughter named Sage. His work work has appeared in hundreds of publications including Soundings East, Prime Mincer, The Red Cedar Review, Prairie Winds, and Sierra Nevada Review.









No comments: