Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Dear Citizens of the World by Vibha Batra


Dear Citizens of the World

by Vibha Batra


Dear Citizens of the World,

I go by various names: idiot, slime ball, douche

But my parents named me George Bush


Don’t you go blaming me for 9/11

I didn’t let it happen again, hon


In my time, I ruled my turf

All thanks to my olfactory nerve


I could smell a terrorist thousand miles away

Are you with me or against me, quick have your say


I bombed the hell out of Kazakistan

Whoa! Laura tells me it was Afghanistan


What’s the diff? K or A, a ‘tan’ is a ‘tan’

Not as if I mixed them up with the Taliban


Did I tell ya I was carrying a handycam

It was me! I youtubed the hanging of Saddam


I may be out of office but I swear

I will smoke Obama Bin Laden out of his lair


Aren’t you glad I won over Al Gore

So what if I cheated, couldn’t give up US to a bore


I would also like to thank my daddy

For letting me duck the draft ‘cos I was saddy


Even Banana Republics appreciate the sentiment

And love me for installing puppet governments


As for Fidel, I ‘castro’d him

Now you know why he always looks grim


I’m still looking for weapons of mass destruction Iraqi

I still dunno why I imposed economic sanctions on the Pakis


All they did was ask me for mediation

After all, Kashmir is a part of their nation


I always thought Pakistan was a cricket team

Then I heard Mooshraaaf’s ‘Give me Aid’ screams


How could I give him AIDS when I didn’t have it

I was just the President not some terrorist


So love me for ending several reigns of terror

And do excuse me for the odd error


Love, Georgie


Author bio:


Vibha Batra is writer and poet based in Chennai. Vibha has completed a Masters in Communication from the University of Madras and worked as a copywriter in several reputed advertising agencies. Vibah has 3 published books: Ishaavaasya Upanishad, an English translation of my grandfather's work (published by Rupa Publications in 2007), Tongue-in-cheek, a collection of poetry (published by Writers Workshop in 2008) and A Twist of Lime, a collection of short stories (published by Think Big Books in 2008). Vibha's short stories and poems have appeared on various e-zines.

No comments: