Monday, September 24, 2007

Prose poem by Karl Koweski














ANTHILLS
by Karl Koweski

Fire ant metropolises. Insect Los Angeles on the west side of my mobile home. New York City to the east. Chicago, Cincinatti, Pittsburgh, across the front and rear.

I declare war on their civilization. Lawn mower devastation. Chemical obliteration. I raze temples and decimate homes, sending the fire ant millions to kingdom come.

Or so I thought.

The next morning, I find my son’s lifeless body in his crib. Flesh riddled with countless pimpled bites. Everything swollen, misshapen. An innocent casualty in a conflict begun to ensure his safety.

In the dawn twilight, the walls move with their multitudes.


Author bio:

Karl Koweski is a 32 year old displaced Chicagoan now living on top of a mountain in Alabama. His poems and stories have been published all over. Karl co-edits www.zygoteinmycoffee.com with Brian Fugett. His latest chapbook, Dimishing Returns, is almost available from www.sunnyoutside.com.

No comments: