Monday, December 8, 2008

The Reunion (Flash Fiction) by Joseph Grant


The Reunion
by Joseph Grant

It had been ages since I'd been back to New York. I hadn't seen these people since my college days. We got drunk like always, reminiscing into the night. I introduced old friends to my wife, people who bore slight resemblance to the thin, youthful students I'd always described to her. The students I knew were replaced by paunchy, middle-aged versions replete with issues that had not been so prevalent those many years ago. I'd slept with many of the women there, I recalled. I once trusted these people with my life. In the end, there was a knife missing.

Author bio:

Joseph Grant is originally from New York City and his short stories have been published in 90 literary reviews and e-zines, such as Byline, New Authors Journal, Nite-Writer's International Literary Arts Journal, Howling Moon Press, Hack Writers, New Online Review, Literary Tonic, six sentences, NexGenPulp, three UK literary reviews, Bottom of the World and Cupboard Gloom and most recent in Darkest Before Dawn and a story in the upcoming anthology of horror, Northern Haunts. He has won “Story of the Month” at Bartleby-Snopes Literary Review and have earned a guaranteed spot in the 1st PRINT issue of the magazine due out in January of 2009.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it. Joseph Grant always delivers. A true master of the art form that is flash fiction.

Baby Island said...

SO was the knife missing because it was buried in someones back, or because as people mellow with age, the knife was simply sheathed?

I can see a couple of different endings here, but maybe it's because I am wary of sharp pointy objects.

As always Joe, you have left me thinking- not just about your words but much more. Also something somewhat different from you this time. I like it. Nice Flash

Anonymous said...

Ohhhh, I want more. Is there a Reunion Part II? Great story, Joe.

Madam Z said...

Yeah Joe, those reunions are sobering, no matter how much you drink.

Anonymous said...

Great story. A new twist on the 'you can't go home again' adage. The ending was unexpected, yet perfect!

Unknown said...

Think you were at MY 40th reunion. Good job.

Anonymous said...

How do you always manage to put the thoughts running through our minds on paper? We felt like were there with you...truly another Joe Grant masterpiece!