Thursday, December 13, 2007

Three themed poems by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal


Three poems
by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal

Rivers and Streams

Rivers and streams
fill with prayers.
Fishermen roll the dice
and drop their lines.

Honest men learn
to tell tales, turn their
words into storms
when they're not
even drizzle or spit.

In rivers and streams
they find music
unlike any other
place in this world.

They find silence
as well as peace.
Some promise to
scatter their ashes
when it's their time.

++++++++++++++++++++

Small

Small as a grasshopper,
my bones are as brittle
as toothpicks, my hands
are as soft as roses.

The world is fierce and
mighty. The sun alone
dwarfs me and bears its
rays on me most mornings.

The moon taunts me as I
walk at night. In my dreams
I'm smaller, more brittle,
and softer than I feel.

+++++++++++++++++++++

The Angels are Falling

The angels
are falling
from the sky.

They've turned
into raindrops.

Their wings
have been
clipped or sheared.

The raindrops
are red as blood.

The angels
have fallen
from grace.

They have
lost their way.


Author bio:

Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal's chapbook, Keepers Of Silence, came out on December 20, 2007, from Kendra Steiner Editions. Luis was born in Mexico. He works in the mental health field in Los Angeles, CA. His first book of poems, Raw Materials, was published by Pygmy Forest Press. His first chapbook, Without Peace, was published by Kendra Steiner Editions.

No comments: