Sunday, June 8, 2014

Two poems by Neil Ellman



Self-Portrait

(after the painting by Francis Bacon)
  
Already not an anything worth
I know not the worth I am
tied up in nots and coils of want
I need to know the not I’m in
confused, contorted, misshapen
in a not in a not of nots
whatever the not of my worth
I need to know
whomever, wherever, however
I am or not
the man I used to be
in a not of this world or was
the way it used to be.

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%



Wherefore Now Ariseth the Illusion of
the Third Dimension
(after the painting by Ivan Albright)

Illusion of shape
reality leaps
light years in an inch of space

flat moon, flat sun
how images are formed
against the sky

the distance between
the eye and mind
measured in a leap of faith

between the conceit
and the conceited lies
the truth of spheres

between the knowing
and the known
reality’s shape                

hold it in a hand
and feel the edges
of the universe.

Author bio: 

Neil Ellman has been nominated forThe Pushcart Prize and Best of the Net.  Hundreds of his poems, many of which are ekphrastic and written in response to works of modern and contemporary art, appear in print and online journals, anthologies and chapbooks throughout the world.

No comments: