Monday, August 26, 2013

So Many Legs I Couldn’t Count Them All by James Babbs


I kept looking out the window

then back into the living room
drinking one beer after another
and I didn’t know how many
it had been like this for hours
and it still wasn’t dark
I went and got another beer
came back and sat down
I kept looking out the window
then back into the living room
and I saw the spider
all those hairy legs
and the big black body
and it was crawling
slowly across the floor
this huge fucking thing
the size of a cat
with so many legs
I couldn’t count them all
and I thought
maybe it wasn’t a spider
maybe it was something else
something from another world
sent down here to suck my blood
I sent a text to Marsha
and told her
there was an alien creature
in the middle of my living room
but she never answered me back
I threw an empty bottle at the fucker
but missed and watched it move
a little closer to the wall
it didn’t seem to be
all that interested in me
I kept drinking my beer
and the spider just stayed there
it s hairy legs moving
without going anywhere
then I finished the beer
and was ready for another
I leaned forward
keeping my eyes on the thing
I slid to the edge of my chair
and waited before I stood up
the spider seemed to twitch
I took a deep breath
then I took a step
and the spider moved toward the wall
another step
and it scurried away
ran into the wall and disappeared
I just stood there rubbing my eyes
I sent another text to Marsha
and told her
the damn thing disappeared
I went and got another beer
came back in
leaned down and examined the wall
not a trace of anything
I sat down and took a long pull
I kept looking out the window
then back into the living room
there wasn’t as much light now
the spider was gone
I leaned back in my chair
it was starting to get dark

Author bio: 

James Babbs has published hundreds of poems over the last several years in print journals and online.  He lives in the same small town where he grew up.  James works for the government but doesn’t like to talk about it.  James Babbs is the author of Dictionary of Chaos (2002), Another Beautiful Night (2010), Disturbing The Light (2013) & The Weight of Invisible Things (2013).

No comments: