Monday, July 18, 2011

Two poems by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal


SO CLOSE

I slept the whole night.
I had you close to me.
To dream is a beautiful thing.
The butchered stars
with their dim light did not
shine into my open mouth.
The full moon was not
grinning at my heartache.
My hands held you tight.
This dream felt so right.
My usual nightmares kept
away. I dreamt of the one
I loved. I hoped I would
never wake up. I was
so close to living the dream.
In the morning I cursed my life.

====================
CONSIDER THE MOON

Consider the moon
a light bulb
and your heart
an apple.

How long will they
last, the moon
and your heart?

The light bulb could
shatter and
the lights will
go out.

Someone will get
hungry for fruit
and eat your heart.

And I would not
consider such
nonsense;

Even while I
promised you
the moon and
my heart for
your heart.

Author bio:

Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal was born in Cuernavaca, Morelos, Mexico. He lives in Los Angeles County and works in the mental health field. His chapbooks, Peering Into The Sun and Songs For Oblivion will be published in late 2011 by Poet's Democracy and Alternating Current. His first book of poetry, Raw Materials, was published by Pygmy Forest Press. Kendra Steiner Editions, Deadbeat Press, and New Polish Beat have published his other chapbooks.

No comments: