Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Near Life Experience by A.J. Huffman



I told myself
to turn myself
around.
But upside down
was inside out.
And by the time
I broke myself
into the appropriate number
of pieces,
I had forgotten
how to stand.
On the point.
Of upright.

Author bio:

A.J. Huffman is a poet and freelance writer in Daytona Beach, Florida. She has previously published her work in literary journals, in the U.K. as well as America, such as Avon Literary Intelligencer, Eastern Rainbow, Medicinal Purposes Literary Review, The Intercultural Writer's Review, Icon, Writer's Gazette, and The Penwood Review.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Not good. It is just you pointing arrows at yourself. A good poem is about something, and something happens in it -- a change of some kind. I always ask myself, how is this supposed to help the reader? It doesn't have to be much -- a laugh, an insight, a thought people can identify with. Why does this thing deserve to exist? It makes every poem a mitzvah, and, has the extra advantage of cutting down the number of poems I write, a blessing by any measure. I have read about 30 of your poems now, Amy, and they all seem like the same poem -- you wrapped tightly into a ball, making dire pronouncements through clenched teeth, and often a hint of bloodshed or revenge. The overall effect is that you are tough, armored, and lack any actual subject matter apart from your current mood. It's always about YOU. I'm thinking, writing this particular poem was fun for you, but why would anyone else want to encounter it? Something to think about!