Sunday, January 9, 2011

Only the Rumor by Sergio Ortiz


I, who has never seen sanity,

or a caravan of Siberian huskies stroll

with their pack through soft white snow,

have no appreciation for winter's twilight-silence,

or the ruckus of grizzlies ravaging

my provisions.

I ask: Is there anyone

willing to put their hand in place of mine

on the chopping block, or their signature

on paper to demand investigations

into all that has been stolen

on my passage through this life?

I have not seen tenderness

nor do I feel excitement upon observing

the child fed from the safety of its mother's hands.

Only the rumors of the existence of distant cities

where harsh winters outlast serene summers

accelerate the rhythm of my blood.

That chill is mine.

I, who has never seen sanity, have played

with water and snow. I've wrapped them around

my legs, given them form with my hands like a lover.

I, who am fed-up with listening to wolves

and sleeping under willows, no longer I tremble

when they throw down my door to take me

where neither water or snow exist.

Do you understand? It is nothing more

than a short visit to the crying room

of a psychiatric hospital, a show

to impress the animal

that sleeps beneath

the sheets.


Author bio:

Ortiz is a retired educator, poet, and photographer. He has a B.A. in English literature, and a M.A. in philosophy. Flutter Press released his debut chapbook, At the Tail End of Dusk, October 2009. Ronin Press released his second chapbook, topography of a desire, May 2010. Avantacular Press released his first photographic chapbook: The Sugarcane Harvest, May 2010. His third chapbook: Wet Stones and Bedbugs in My Mattress, will be released by Flutter Press, November 2010. He was recently published, or is forthcoming in: Carcinogenic Poetry, Perceptions Magazine of the Arts 2010, BorderSenses, Offcourse Literary Journal, Cavalier Literary Couture, and Touch: The Journal of Healing.

No comments: