Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Three poems by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal


Poetry
by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal

BLUE

I framed your eyes on my mind.
I gifted myself a beautiful sight.

It did not satisfy my
desires. I wanted you.
I walked, pensive and
melancholy, covered
with the blue colors of sadness.
I painted my heart blue.
My mind was blue.
Your eyes were blue
and beautiful.
I gifted myself your blue eyes.
They did not satisfy my
desires. I wanted to hold your hand.
My heart was blue without you.

====================

THE SMELL OF NAPALM

Only in a movie could someone love the smell
of Napalm in the morning. Perhaps it could be
true in hell as devils tear apart a sinner’s entrails
as a thousand evil spiders feed off of what is
left. Probably it could be true in purgatory,
where the sinner ends up for a smidge, where
his love for the smell of Napalm is replaced for
the love of the sea teeming with the souls who
fell there from a slippery slope off a mountain.

++++++++++++++++++++

VACATION DAY

I was sleeping last night.
I was not dreaming.
The cold wind was trying
to find its way inside.
In the afternoon the fiery
sun was trying to find
its way inside just like
the cold wind. I was taking
a nap in the afternoon.
I felt at ease granting
myself a vacation day.

Author bio:

Luis has a new chapbook, which will be available in mid-July 2009 from Kendra Steiner Editions. The chapbook's title is Overcome and is co-authored by photographer, Cynthia Etheridge.

No comments: