Friday, March 6, 2009

Five poems by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal


Five poems
by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal

INTO MY FEARS

How everything frightens me,
from syllables to monsters.
My spine bends out of shape
when I am into my fears.
Life is reduced to a nightmare.
Every word is a haunting.
I speak to the voices.
I need them to stop.
I know they are not real
or I need to believe they are not
real, just so I could sleep in peace.

====================

LOOKING INTO THE SEA

I sat at the window
looking into the sea.
I floated in my thoughts
beyond the window pane.
I saw a thin blue sky
and sea bubbles rising
with the waves. A soft cloud
in the thin blue sky was
all by itself, one cloud
for all the sea and all
the people on the beach.

---------------------

DIFFERENT LIGHT

You put things in
a different light
whenever you
spoke to me. The way
you chose your words
I never felt numb.
The corners of
your mouth and your
smile was not like
a spear in my heart.
They were my light.

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

VISIONS

When I see visions
I must confess I only
see them when I’m alone.
When a rose appears
in my visions I always
feel a thorn at my side.
I rub and rub my pain,
but it only feels worse.
The petals from the rose
appear like the weight
of the world in my
terrible visions.

I take deep breaths
until my breathing calms.

++++++++++++++++++++++

IN MY YOUTH

I walked alone singing
unfazed by the warm sun.
In my youth I was care-
free. I did not care what
day it was. The gold sun
followed me in summer.
I had few friends, still do.
I am bothered by the
sun these days. My eyes look
away from the angry
sun. I was happy in
my youth and did not mind
the sun. I wore sandals.
My armpits were drier
even in the sun’s heat.
Now I pray for a cloud.

Author bio:

Luis has a new chapbook out, called Garden of Rocks, which was published by Kendra Steiner Editions in July 2008.

No comments: