Friday, December 5, 2008

Two poems by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal


Two poems
by Luis Cuauhtemoc Berriozabal

SNAKES, DEVILS, AND DEMONS

I saw the heavens open wide
and flying snakes trying to
get in to attack Jesus Christ.

I saw devils and demons on
earth walking and stalking
church going folks and atheists.

I demanded a holy war on
the snakes, devils, and demons
and took my place on the

right side of the Almighty.
I was denied my petition
by the courts and my family.

They filled my head with
crazy pills. I fear the evil
ones got to my family and

to the judge before I could
save them. I need to practice
an exorcism on their souls.

But I can't get my release
from my this place, where the
demons and devils pose as

doctors and nurses. They
inject me with evil liquids
and I can't stand up or crawl

out of bed. I saw the snakes
slithering in the sheets. They
want to poison me to death.

++++++++++++++++++++

RELEASE THE DEMON

I need to cut out
my stomach to
release the demon
living inside.

I would like to have
it killed if
I could. Out in our
world the demon

would be a handful.
It would possess
those who are weak or
evil inside

their hearts. I used to
be evil. But
I found peace and love.
The demon rebelled.

Inside of me it
played with my heart.
I was getting sick.
I had to stab

the demon in the
head. I felt it
in my stomach like
if I was with

child. The demon can
make itself small.
This is when it's weak,
vulnerable.


Author bio:

Luis has a new chapbook out, called Garden of Rocks, which was published by Kendra Steiner Editions in July 2008.

No comments: